Wednesday, February 24, 2010

5…4…3…2…1…Bungy!



One of my goals for 2010 was to stop living in the sheltered routine of eat, sleep, work and start living life and doing adventure sports. I convinced and couple of friends to hit the long road to the Eastern Cape for the weekend and go Bungy Jumping at the Bloukrans and Gouritz Bungy.

Once on that long road to Tsitsikamma, we had good conversation, great music but despite this the voices were loud in my head screaming, ‘what the hell are you thinking wanting to through yourself off the world’s highest bridge???’ I spent the whole Friday evening in disbelief that I just drove all this way and tried to convince myself that I may as well jump.

Saturday came, I skipped breakfast I was way to anxious for that. I found myself paying for my jump despite every bone in my body saying WTF?! I got strapped in and made my way across the bridge, which was enough to freak me out on its own.

I was second last in line to jump, mentally preparing myself by quoting stupid sayings like ‘I can do this’ and ‘I’m safe, these are professionals’ and ‘This is a case of mind over matter – I’m not really scared of heights’.

Two guys assist me to the edge, my toes hang over the edge and the breeze that brushed over me lets me know that I was very far from the ground. They start the countdown 5…4…3…2…1…Bungy! I don’t move an inch. Instead my legs feel like jelly and I have literally lost all colour in my face. This countdown with no success happens another 3 times; finally I say tearfully that on the countdown, they are to push me off, I know this much – I won’t willing throw myself off.

5…4…3…2…1…Bungy! My feet leave the solid comfort of the bridge and I am free falling. I scream for a second and then I stop…everything is quiet. I open my eyes and take in all of the beauty around me, make peace will all the decisions I have made and accept that if I die, in that exact moment I felt like I truly lived.

1 comment:

  1. Wow the pics look hectic, i think i would rather jump out of a plane than bungy. Well done. Its so important to be adventurous or rather extreme every now and again especially if its not part of your make up, like mine. I will hopefully do my skydive soon.

    ReplyDelete