Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Our greatest strengths are our greatest weaknesses

There I was attending yet another workshop on Tuesday when my colleague turns to me in a break and says that she wants to go back to the office and that this wasn’t what she expected. I suspect it is due to the fact that this workshop was a very interacting environment, requiring participation, your thoughts and ideas. My colleague is a very introvert person who doesn’t often express her opinions.

It was slightly annoying at how quickly she was willing to throw in the towel because her opinion was asked for. It dawned on me…just how opposite we are in character. And perhaps this is the way the world was supposed to be…too many Alpha’s would warp the balance of life.

I consider to myself to be a very confident person, I know what I want in life, what opinions I have about the world around me and what I won’t stand for. I consider myself a chatter-box, someone who is able to speak to anyone. I especially enjoy public speaking. Now although these can be seen as strengths, I was increasingly aware while at the workshop that because I have such a strong personality I should proceed with caution. To avoid being the person who always has something to say...the person who dominates the group...the person who never allows someone else to talk.

So would I consider this trait to be a flaw? Would it not be better to refrain from calling it a weakness but rather term it as an opportunity to do and be better? I would have to say that I am conscious of the fact that it could be perceived in many ways and that I should be sensitive to those participants around me. I have learnt that the best way to keep my strong personality at bay is to involve my team by asking for their opinions and ideas, to try and give positive feedback, where necessary ask the team how I can improve on my contribution and most importantly, give praise when it is due. Motivating people to strive to give 110% towards the common goal we share, because after all, there is no I in TEAM.

1 comment:

  1. that is the only way you learn, by participating and giving yourself into the process.

    ReplyDelete