Thursday, April 15, 2010

The sound of one hand clapping

WikiAnswers mentions that ‘this question is a traditional zen koan - a question posed by a Zen master to a student, to be pondered from within the routine of daily life until the answer opens the true heart of the question’.

What is the sound of one hand clapping? I would imagine…it would be an unbearable sound of nothing which would ring in my ears. It might be empty with nothing to confirm my existence, the silence an indication of my impact on life and on those around me. I would just be a state of being with no history or great tales to tell.

Silence can bring about calmness and serenity from the information overload…but still…I make no impact if I am not making any noise.

It is amazing how things were created in pairs…male and female…two limbs (hands) etc as opposed to one. If I think about one hand clapping and how little impact or sound it makes, it makes me think that if change is to happen we need to work together to get things done. If we each had just one hand but we clapped together, someone would be bound to hear us…

1 comment: