Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Pet peeves

I was always under the impression that I was rather patient and understanding person, but with the recent passing of my father and the catch up I had to do when transgressing back to the reality of life, proved me otherwise. It had me thinking of all the things that would annoy me, better known as pet peeves.

According to Wikipedia, a pet peeve (or pet hate) is a minor annoyance that an individual identifies as particularly annoying to them, which to a greater degree than others may find it. So what is it that annoys me that to others may seem insignificant or petty? The list could go on forever, so I have highlighted my top 20.

1. People who do not use their indicator to signal when turning.
2. People who wait till the last minute to cross on a signaling arrow then don’t allow any other drivers to turn.
3. People who drive slow in the fast lane.
4. An untidy room – I am not your mother and will not clean up after you.
5. People that gossip and back stab.
6. When situations don’t go my way, after the 5th or 6th time of trying i.e. when the forces are against me despite my hardest efforts.
7. Automated answering machines when trying to reach a company.
8. People not washing their hands after using the bathroom.
9. Going to a restaurant and getting dirty cutlery or crockery.
10. People who do not use their initiative on a simple task.
11. People who insist on standing right behind me at the ATM.
12. People who use a sauce or a lotion and leave it to get crusty around the opening.
13. People who stereotype on other people based on their colour, upbringing, financial status and education.
14. No toilet paper or somebody not thinking to replace it. Even worse…when it comes off one sheet at a time.
15. Bad customer service and then bad service when complaining about the bad service.
16. Ignorant people.
17. People talking non-stop while I am watching something.
18. People who smoke with children or animals in the car.
19. People who throw their cigarette buds out of their car because they don’t want their car to stink – ironic don’t you think.
20. My computer or internet that is not working as fast as I need it to. Especially when trying to upload blogs

One thing that I did realise when I was blogging about this topic was that I am not as bad as I think. Go to www.getannoyed.com for a list of what ticks some people off. Now while I may have been short strung, I believe that a lot of what annoys me is dependent on my mood at that moment in time. Many things I will let slide if I am having a great day and the harsh reality is that I cannot change others, so the best solution is when having a tough day, is to take a moment, pray for the poor person who is annoying me, then start the day over.

1 comment:

  1. LOL! My BF moans at me all the time, I never replace the toilet roll, I will put it on the toilet roll holder, but I just don't attach it!

    ReplyDelete