Monday, May 10, 2010

What’s the point?

One has to wonder who invented tests and whether he or she was very liked. What is the purpose of a test? Is it to ensure that the necessary knowledge is learnt by the individual? There has got to be another way?!?!

I have sat on numerous occasions trying to cram in information, sometimes on the last minute, for a test. I ask myself, how much of that information I have managed to retain. The answer is not much. Some have still not realised that continuous assessment is by far a better tool to monitor knowledge learnt, apply theory and retain information.

A test, on the other hand, is a task whereby I freak out, parrot study and hope for the best. Not a true reflection of my knowledge as many factors come into play…how anxious I get when faced with a test, how fast I can write, my ability to remember information.

I think of myself – when working on an assignment…I have to do research, my literature review, do extensive reading, do application to indicate my understanding, draft, revise, proof read and develop and expand on my knowledge. Not forgetting the dreaded Harvard Referencing.

Continuous assessment is more beneficial to me and to the real world out there…I mean….my employer is not going to test me on a project – s/he will want reports, evidence. I may not be able to ace a test but I can work twice as hard to get A-student grades…should this opportunity not be given to all students?

1 comment:

  1. I agree, when you are flipping through references and definitions, the basics become crucial to know and you somehow learn them, because it makes life easier and they stay with you.

    Test info vanishes...

    ReplyDelete