Thursday, October 7, 2010

What would the world be like if Santa Claus actually existed?


So what would life be like if the mystical Santa Claus did exist? I think that perhaps the world would be a better place; more people would behave themselves – hoping that their name would be on Santa’s list for a gift. We all know that if you were naughty, Santa wouldn’t bring you a gift.

On the other hand, perhaps it would be a bad thing…people would idealise Santa into a God-like figure and perhaps people would become more materialistic – instead of focusing on the smaller things that brings one joy. I always thought that people appreciate more if they achieved something through hard work. So how many people would people be ungrateful for the gift they have received? Would Santa become a target, would thugs try and rob him? Perhaps Santa would become victim to the sins of the world – sex, drugs, rock ‘n roll and not forgetting corruption.

I don’t know which of the above would be true but I do know that the thought of Santa Claus does bring a smile to my face…of younger, more innocent times. Times of excitement and minimal sleep just incase I missed Santa coming down the chimney. It was a vital part of childhood which I wouldn’t have traded for the world.

GLOOMY THOUGHT: I remember the moment I found out that Santa didn’t exist – how I had been living a lie. Dramatic – I know, but why would our parents give us such an amazing character just so that the dream can be pulled out from underneath us???

No comments:

Post a Comment