Thursday, March 18, 2010

Mind the Gap

Early in 2008 I made an impulsive decision to go work and live abroad, 3 months later I found myself in the UK. I left behind a permanent job, friends, family and beloved Cape Town for the adventures of the unknown. My first couple of nights were driven by the thoughts of why and how did I end up here? As if I never made any decisions in the process. I quickly learnt that I am no longer in the safe nest of home-life, that no one cares about whether I am home sick and that I had to adopt a sink or swim attitude.

I have heard many bad things about other people’s experiences in the UK…the people are miserable, the weather is miserable and it can be one lonely place to be. I admit it is not for everyone but it’s what you make of it and depends of your reasons for going. Many find themselves there with the illusion of chasing the infamous paper trail. I found myself there to learn about life, culture and a greater sense of independence and I loved every minute of it.

I was learning new things…how diverse all the people are that live in London; around every corner is someone from a different nationality with his own life story to tell you. I experienced a different life of efficient public transport and free health care. How to use the Tube and what it felt like to miss the last Tube. I entered a world of new documents like NI, P45 and P60’s. I learnt about their custom to drink beer and their favourite foods like black puddings, Yorkshire pies and fish and chips with mushy peas. That if someone said ‘let’s go to the beach’, the odds that it was a pebble beach, rather than the sand beach that we know, are great.

That no one smokes inside buildings not even in the bars or night clubs, the many eventful trips after the night clubs on the night bus. I was discovering the life of self service at the petrol stations and the self service of scanning, paying and packing of my groceries at Tesco, Asda or M&S. I learnt despite being in England, the land of English, it was difficult to understand some of them...innit bruv. I discovered the slang, chavs, blood brothers and pikey people. Then there was the adjustment to phrases like it’s not a robot but a traffic light, it’s not a circle but a round-about, it’s not a cellphone but a mobile and the list goes on. Last but not least, I experienced the dreaded effects of the Heathrow Injection.

I traveled and got the opportunity to see attractions like the Big Ben, the London Eye, Oxford, Windsor Castle, Camden Town, Tower Bridge, Madame Tussauds, Buckingham Palace and the changing of guards, Harrods, Trafalgar Square, carnivals, festivals, various museums and art galleries etc.

While I experienced all that the UK had to offer, I knew that I have made the most of my experience. I have learnt, grown as an individual and that I have fallen in love with 'the smoke' (London's nickname). But…home is where the heart is, we may not be where they are but and I wouldn’t trade Cape Town for the world.

1 comment:

  1. True, home is definiteky where the heart is but I think that getting work experience in another country can test one's true self. You should be so proud of yourself. I think I need to take up the challenge & work overseas however it needs to be warm.

    ReplyDelete