Monday, March 29, 2010

We are what we do

How true is this statement? For some, work is just a means to pay the bills. A place that people go to day in and day out, that contributes no enrichment to their lives. I live my life by doing a job that I enjoy as opposed to looking at the remuneration or status that that job could offer me. Don’t get me wrong…status and money makes the world go round but I prefer to wake up in the morning and be motivated to get to work.

I work in the NGO sector and enjoy doing my job…I am passionate about what we do and how I can contribute to improving the lives of the people in our care. Passion is vital in life… I truly believe in my job and my NGO’s cause. People can hear that when I speak, I speak with conviction and in an authentic voice. What has become apparent to me over the past few days was how I live my life according to my job requirements.

I have studied Public Relations (PR) and find myself living my life according to attributes of my job. PR is all about maintaining positive perceptions, monitoring trends and building mutually beneficial relationships. These are fundamental characteristics that I live my life by too. I recently went to a night club and was amazed at the girls that were drunk, wearing next to nothing and showcasing their sexy dancing – it became clear to me how they were ‘selling’ themselves to the opposite sex as if that was all they had to offer. It saddened me to think that the perception that they were getting was not a positive one. By no means do I box myself to be just another cardboard cut-out or playing grown up by acting all professional, like the Cluetrain Manifesto mentions, I just like to live my life by a standard of morals and values – and would like to be perceived like that.

I find myself being sensitive to those around me to establish what their perceptions are, predict their future actions and then finding myself decoding how best to communicate. Because I am naturally a friendly person, I networking quite often which allows me to build new relationships and how to ensure that it is a win-win situation for both parties. I am not the only one who lives my life according to these principles, I see friends that do highly skilled work that have no room for error emphasis safety even when they leave the office.

I think that if you are in the correct industry, the statement ‘We are what we do’ would be true for you. As humans we can’t help but be patriotic but sport, our loved ones and the same would go for your job. It is easier to love what you do if you believe in what you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment