Monday, September 20, 2010

Nothing is more dangerous than an idea when you only have one


I have learnt some valuable lessons, one of the most important being to have a plan AND to have a plan B. Planning the surprise party for my brother this weekend past was challenging yet I wouldn’t trade the adrenaline pumping chaos for anything else. Everything was set…venue, the catering, custom-made classic car cake, balloons, banner, champagne, speech, guests and DJ.

Now just as I am about to start getting excited and celebrating the success of the night to come, the manager of the venue explains that the entire block has been without power since 10am this morning. He assures me that an electrician has been working on it whole day but he cannot guarantee that the electricity will be up and running by the time that the guests arrive. My stress levels spike as I have a mini heart attack. This guy however, does something quite remarkable…he tells me how the plan is going to shit but offers me a life line – he arranges with a restaurant down the road to host the party if the power does not come on in time.

So now I am experiencing life on life’s terms but not completely throwing in the towel and calling it quits just yet. I enjoy surrounding myself with people who devise a plan B or look for solutions instead of harping on how unfair life is for putting an obstacle in their way. What it means is that life will hand me some sour lemons from time to time I am smart enough to think of plan B and make lemonade when it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment